Mr. Dokubo-Asari was Thursday summoned to the DSS headquarters in Abuja, where he is being interrogated for comments believed to be capable of breaching the fragile peace the country currently enjoys. The spokesperson of the SSS, Marilyn Ogar, was not available for comments. She did not answer or return calls. But Mr. Dokubo-Asari younger brother, Rex Asari, who also doubles as his personal assistant on media, said the Niger Delta activist is currently being interrogated by operatives. “It is true,” the younger Asari said in response to our reporter’s enquiry at about 12.30 p.m Thursday. “He is being interogated as we speak.” Mr. Dokubo-Asari was quoted to have said on Tuesday that he would make Nigeria ungovernable unless President Jonathan secures a second term ticket in the 2015 presidential election. He also reportedly asked politicians from the North to steer clear of the presidency.
Nigerian Tribune reports that Orowo Jesse Omokoh was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on 28 January.
“The South African police, which is investigating the mysterious death, are suspicious that Omokoh has a hand in the demise of Jacobs,” the EFCC said.
The 28-year-old suspect reportedly used an online dating scam to trick a total of $90,000 from the victim, Jette Jacobs.
Jacobs was an Australian widow who had been living in Johannesburg since 2012.
eNCA reports that the 67-year-old’s lifeless body was discovered on 9 February last year, five days after Omokoh came to Johannesburg to see her.
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) on Tuesday dismissed claims by the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, that it had not remitted $20 billion to the Federation Account.
This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja by Dr Omar Ibrahim, the Acting Group General Manager of Public Affairs Division of NNPC.
The statement said this was not the first time the CBN governor made wild allegations about the NNPC.
The statement recalled that Sanusi made the allegation on Tuesday in his presentation before the Ahmed Markafi-led Senate Committee probing the allegation of unremitted $49.8 billion oil proceeds.
It quoted the Group Managing Director of NNPC, Mr Andrew Yakubu as saying that Sansui’s claim on the existence of an unremitted $20 billion is far from the reality on ground.
It said this will be proved when investigations were concluded.
“The CBN boss had alleged that revenue from NPDC, a subsidiary of the NNPC, was not being remitted to the Federation Account,” it stated.
It expressed surprise that even after extensive clarification on the matter, the CBN was still confusing the role of NPDC as part of NNPC’s upstream operations.
The statement faulted Sanusi’s claim that NPDC’s gross earnings ought to be remitted to the Federation Account, explaining that the company was a limited liability outfit registered under CAMA to do business.
“Let me make this point clear, CBN is a banking outfit, not a petroleum outfit.
“It is therefore understandable why they keep making unsubstantiated claims, which a little understanding of the technicalities of the oil industry would have saved them from making.
“CBN is not an auditing outfit. But what it is doing is now auditing.
“We have no problem with auditing, but let the professionals, the certified bodies and agencies that are charged with this responsibility of auditing, do their work,” it stated.
It explained that the issues raised by Sanusi were not fresh at all and would be eventually reconciled by the Inter Agency Committee established to settle the $49.8 billion saga.
“Our position remains the same and we remain open to all stakeholders.
“These are issues that are currently before the reconciliation committee and before now it has been a subject of monthly verification before FAAC and other stakeholders,” it stated.
It reiterated what the Director-General of Budget had said at the hearing that a lot of progress had been made in the reconciliation of the $10.8 billion.
It expressed the hope that the final report would be ready, and NNPC vindicated, by the time the committee meets next week.
P-Square are reportedly releasing an album before the end of this year.
According to reports, a source said the singing duo, Peter and Paul haven’t released an album in over two and a half years because they have been preoccupied with their personal lives.
NET says P-Square’s publicist Bayo Adu said the duo will release a few singles before Valentine’s Day leading up to the album’s release later this year.
Bayo said, “We did not release any statement whatsoever, especially one saying that P-Square will not release albums anymore. They will release two singles for the fans before Valentine, and an album will definitely come out before the end of the year.”
The scramble to be the presidential candidate for the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC) has begun with the announcement by the Publisher of Leadership Newspapers, Sam Nda-Isaiah of his intentions to vie in the 2015 elections.
Nda-Isaiah, who is believed to be a protege of one of the leaders of the APC and founder of the now defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, made his intentions public yesterday while paying a courtesy visit to ThisDay Newspapers’ Lagos Headquarters to intimate the management of his presidential ambition.
When asked about his decision vis-a-vis his political relationship with Buhari considering the fact that many believe the former Head of State still has his eyes firmly locked on Aso Rock, Nda-Isaiah said, “I told him (Buhari) tactically that I am in the race. And he said it was politically correct. I went round all those close to him. I have gone far into the race. So, if he decides to contest, I’m going to contest. I will contest against him. I will try everything to make sure that the relationship remains the same. But I wish it would not happen.”
He, however, maintained that he has no intention to drop his presidential ambitions if Buhari decides to throw his hat into the ring.
While explaining what fueled his ambition to vie for the presidential ticket of the APC, Nda-Isaiah said “It is now we should start doing very big things. We should have the biggest airports and the biggest seaports. Look at the things we achieved when there was no oil.
“Go to the universities now and compare what they did 20 years ago. We need new direction. I don’t believe that there is a magic to it. I believe it is possible to make the difference,” he stated.
He lamented the level of division among Nigerians, saying if he wins in the presidential election, one of his first assignments will be to ensure the unity of Nigeria, which he identifies as the panacea for rapid development.
“The most important thing is to bring people together. We are too divided over small issues. If any leader is sincere, it is the very thing to do. I will not say we are going to fight corruption because that is part of governance,” he said.
Born on May 1, 1962, Nda-Isaiah attended Government College, Kaduna. He went on to the then University of Ife, Ile-Ife, where he graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy. He was the national editor-in-chief of the Pharmacy students’ magazine, Student Pharmacist.
Nda-Isaiah became a member of the Daily Trust Editorial Board as well as a member of the committee appointed by the Kano State Government to revive The Triumph, the state-owned newspaper.
The Publisher of Leadership Newspapers is also a member of the Institute of Directors, a member of the Vienna-based International Press Institute, a member of the World Association of Newspapers (WAN), and an executive member of the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria (NPAN).
As football’s January transfer window prepares to shut on Friday, clubs, players and agents are involved in a complicated game of roulette — just who will blink first?
For clubs, be they at the top or the bottom of the table, the window offers a final chance to either push them forward to title success or European Champions League qualification, or potentially rescue their top-flight status.
There is an awful lot of money at stake as well as league position.
In 2013, world governing body FIFA’s Transfer Matching System handled 12,309 international player moves — an increase of 4% on 2012 — which were worth $3.7 billion, up a whopping 41%.
Thanks to a bumper television deal worth $4.7 billion that is shared between the 20 Premier League clubs, England spent more than any other country on transfers in 2013 — $913 million — an increase of 51% over the previous year.
That $913 million represents 25% of the global transfer spend.
In the current 2013-2014 season English Premier League clubs have already spent over $1.3 billion on players, more than double the sum teams in Spain, Italy and France are investing in strengthening their squads, according to the authoritative Transfermarkt website.
Traditionally January is viewed as a bad time to invest in players, given selling clubs always demand a premium.
But that hasn’t stopped champions Manchester United, struggling to qualify for next season’s Champions League, signing sPAIN INTERNATIONAL Juan Mata for a club record $61 million from Chelsea.
While English clubs spent lavishly, Brazil once again had the most number of transfers — 1,402 — for both incoming and outgoing players, testament to the 2014 World Cup host’s knack for developing players.
Often key to any transfer deal is the role played by what FIFA terms “intermediaries,” be they agents, lawyers or even parents.
Last week Spanish club Barcelona revealed the deal to sign Brazil international Neymar cost $118 million, including a $66 million “compensation fee” paid to a company owned by the player’s parents.
According to FIFA, although there was an increase of 30% in club intermediary commissions paid in 2013, there was a decrease in the actual number of transfers involving such “middle men” — only 14% compared to 17% in 2012.
Last year’s biggest transfer was Real Madrid’s purchase of Wales international Gareth Bale from English club Tottenham.
The BBC reported it was a world-record move worth $132 million that was greater than the $124 million fee Real Madrid produced to lure Cristiano Ronaldo away from Manchester United in 2009.
“They closed the Church, stood by doors, and started throwing IEDs and shooting directly at the helpless worshippers,” said Bishop Stephen Dami Mamza of Yola Diocese in Adamawa State about Sunday’s attack in Waga Chakawa.
Bishop Mamza said the attack, suspected to be the work of Boko Haram, left 31 parishioners dead, and 11 others mutilated by knives and gun wounds.
“The attack took place in our out-station Church on Sunday morning in a village called Waga Chakawa. The Church is under St. Dennis Catholic Church, Madagali in Adamawa State. They were about to finish Holy Mass with the Catechist when the suspected men arrived in Hilux vans and some on motorcycles.”
“Those that were escaping through the widow were being slaughtered like rams and others killed through their sophisticated guns.”
He added, “I have never seen this tragedy; it is a gradual elimination of people with impunity and desecration and sanctity of human lives.”
The Bishop said after the gang had finished with the helpless villagers inside the Church, the attackers went into the village and slaughtered about ten people of several Churches and escaped without any response.
Bishop Mamza had a plea for the Nigerian government, “I am begging in the name of God, government and security agencies should come to the aid of poor Nigerians irrespective of their religion, status or whatever and give them protection. We are mourning these children and adults whose innocent lives were brutally stuffed out of them unjustifiably.”
It seems a lot of people are really tired of Justin Bieber’s antics, and the White House now has to give an official response as the Deport Bieber petition managed to garner over 100,000 signatures.
“We the people of the United States feel that we are being wrongly represented in the world of pop culture,” reads the petition, which was created immediately after Bieber’s recent run-in with the law. “We would like to see the dangerous, reckless, destructive, and drug abusing, Justin Bieber deported and his green card revoked.”
Bieber, originally from Canada, was recently arrested in Miami for driving with an expired license, driving under the influence, and resisting arrest. (The former two charges have since been dropped.) “He is not only threatening the safety of our people but he is also a terrible influence on our nations youth. We the people would like to remove Justin Bieber from our society,” the petition says.
In addition to his troubles in Miami, Bieber is also under investigation for allegedly pelting his neighbor’s mansion with eggs. That case is said to be “tightening up” according to CNN.
Ibrahim Shekarau, one of the founding members of APC, has moved to the PDP.
The immediate past governor of Kano State, Ibrahim Shekarau, has dumped the All Progressives Congress, APC, for the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
Mr. Shekarau, backed by his supporters from the 44 local government areas of Kano, made the declaration at his Bompai GRA residence in Kano on Wednesday.
He said the decision is to satisfy the aspirations of the people of the state who felt left out from the APC.
“We intended with the merger to form a solid foundation for entrenchment of democracy,” Mr, Shekarau, the presidential candidate of the defunct All Nigeria Peoples Party, ANPP, in 2011, said.
“The Legacy Group sacrificed all interests for the merger, but for the past six months all agreements reached by the merged parties had not being met.
“No clear leaders, no registration of APC members at any levels. This shows a clear lack of commitment, transparency and accountability to all concerned,” he said.
The supporters participated in the declaration and affirmed the decision to defect to PDP.
Mr. Shekarau had last week met with a former Sokoto Governor and founding members of the APC, Attahiru Bafarawa, last week. Mr. Bafarawa has since decamped to the PDP. Both men accuse the APC of giving the party’s structures in their states to their current state governors who last year decamped to the APC from the PDP.
Here is a full list of 11 Senators that submitted a letter to Senate President David Mark today asking to defect to the opposition All progressives Congress (APC) party.The defecting senators are as follows :
1. Senator Bukola Saraki-Kwara Central
2. Senator Umaru Dahiru-Sokoto South
3. Senator Magnus Ngei Abe -Rivers South-East
4. Senator Wilson Asinobi Ake-Rivers West
5. Sen. Bindawa Muhammed Jibrilla-Adamawa North
6. Sen. Mohammed Danjuma Goje-Gombe central
7. Sen. Aisha Jummai Alhassan-Taraba North
8. Sen. Mohammed Ali Ndume-Borno South
9. Senator Mohammed Shaba Lafiaji-Kwara North
10. Sen. Abdulahi Adamu-Nasarawa West
11. Senator Ibrahim Abdullahi Gobir-Sokoto East
Courtesy: Sahara Reporters