South African Govt Say 67 of Its Citizens Died In Synagogue Building Collapse

South African president, Jacob Zuma announced yesterday that 67 of its citizens died in the Synagogue building collapse that occurred on September 12th. The South Africans were in NCollapsed Synagogue church debrisigeria to seek spiritual help and were staying at the guest house before it collapsed. Read the full statement from President Zuma below:

I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries, after a building at the Synagogue Church of All Nations collapsed on Friday, 12 September 2014, in Lagos, in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

This is a particularly difficult time for South Africa. Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people die in one incident outside the country. Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues that have lost their loved ones in this heart-breaking tragedy. The whole nation shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones. We are all in grief. As we mourn this sudden and tragic death of our fellow compatriots, I have directed the relevant Government departments and entities to act with the utmost urgency to ensure that we facilitate the movement of relevant family members to Nigeria to identify the bodies of their loved ones and to ensure that we repatriate the remains as soon as possible under the circumstances.

I would like to take this opportunity also to thank all family members and friends who have provided information to Government, which information has assisted the South African High Commission in Nigeria in its efforts to locate our fellow citizens. I would also like to commend all affected families for their patience and resolve during this very painful period. On behalf of the Government and the people of South Africa, I would like to thank the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for their support during this difficult time. We also send our sincere condolences to the people of Nigeria and all other nations affected by this tragedy. I would like to assure all affected families that the Government will provide all the necessary support. Government will keep the public informed of developments around this tragedy. May the souls of the departed compatriots rest in peace. I thank you. Issued by: the Presidency Pretoria

MH370: Satellite Images Show Up to 122 ‘Potential Objects’

Satellite images taken on Sunday show 122 “potential objects” in the search for debris from missing flight MH370, Malaysian investigators said Wednesday.

Analysis of the images, which were supplied by France-based aeronautical firm Airbus Defence, revealed objects in the southern Indian Ocean around 1,588 miles from Perth, Australia – close to where other objects were previously seen.

A graphic showing the location of unknown objects on satellite images dated March 23, 2014, processed by the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency (MRSA) and released by the Malaysian government on March 26.Ministry of Transport Malaysia: A graphic showing the location of unknown objects on satellite images dated March 23, 2014, processed by the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency (MRSA) and released by the Malaysian government on March 26.

 

The objects were between one meter (3 feet) and 23 meters (72 feet) in length and were seen across an area of ocean approximately 154 square miles wide, acting transport minister Hishamuddin Hussein told reporters.

“Some of the objects appeared to be bright, possibly indicating solid materials,” he added.

The Airbus images are the fourth set of satellite pictures to show potential debris in the remote corner of the southern Indian Ocean which marks the farthest area where the jet could have flown before running out of fuel.

Searchers from six countries are scouring the area to recover debris from the missing airliner.

Meanwhile, a Chicago law firm representing the families of passengers aboard MH370 has taken the first step toward a potential multimillion dollar lawsuit against the airline and the aircraft’s manufacturer.

RibbeckLaw Chartered, a law firm that specializes in aviation cases, filed court documents Monday demanding that Malaysia Airlines and Boeing Co. turn over evidence of possible design and manufacturing defects.

By joedams Posted in Safety

Child, motorcyclist crushed by truck

truck
Three people including a woman and her child were on Tuesday crushed to death by a truck on Auchi-Okpella Highway in Auchi, Edo.

According to the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), the accident occurred when the speeding truck lost control and crushed a motorcyclist, a woman and her child.

The Unit Commander of FRSC, Mrs Achibong Nseobot, told newsmen in Auchi that the truck ran over the motorcycle transporting the woman and her child.

“The truck was heading to Okene and ran into a motorcycle coming from the opposite direction, killing the rider, the woman and her child.

“The driver, in an attempt to escape, was apprehended by angry youths, who handed him over to the police,” she said.

The official said the remains of the victims had been deposited at the mortuary, while efforts were being made to contact their families.

Nseobot warned motorists in the area, particularly those of articulated vehicles, against reckless driving.

By joedams Posted in Safety

El-Rufai, others escape death as Aero aircraft loses tyre while landing in Lagos

 

Aero-Contractors

 

Aero contractors plane scheduled to arrive in Lagos from Abuja was said to have lost one of its tyres upon landing in Lagos, causing panic and mild drama among few passengers.

And thanks to the experienced hands of the pilot on duty and calm cabin crew, a crash was averted.

The incident was reported by one of the passengers on board, the former FCT minister, Nasir el-Rufai.aero1

aero

By joedams Posted in Safety

Landslide kills 4 persons in Katsina

landslide: Image: Getty Images

Four persons, including three children, were killed on Thursday by a landslide at an excavation site in Funtawa village, Rimi Local Government Area of Katsina State.

Eyewitnesses told newsmen that the incident occurred at about 10:30.

They said after the incident, people besieged the site to rescue the victims, who were brought out dead.

The Secretary of the council, Alhaji Garba Lawal, confirmed the incident and said that it took the rescuers three hours to recover the bodies of the victims.

Lawal said the deceased were taken to their families for burial in accordance with Islamic injunction.

The scribe said the Caretaker Committee Chairman of the council, Alhaji Nasiru Iyatawa, had visited the families of the deceased to commiserate with them.

By joedams Posted in Safety

ASUU leaders chase Kogi gov away from hospital

 

Idris Wada

Angry leaders of the Academic Staff Union of Universities allegedly chased away the Governor of Kogi State, Captain Idris Wada (retd.) from the emergency ward of the  Lokoja General Hospital on Tuesday.

Wada had gone to the hospital  to visit their  injured colleague, Dr. Ngozi Ilo,   and commiserate with them over the death of their  former President, Prof. Festus Iyayi,   in an accident involving his convoy  and an ASUU vehicle on Tuesday.

The  Chairman, University of Benin chapter  of ASUU, Dr. Anthony Monye-Emina; and the Benin Zonal Coordinator, Dr. Sunny Iyalo, had minor injuries and were therefore not admitted into the hospital.

The   ASUU leaders, including the National President, Dr. Biodun Ogunyemi;  the Ibadan Zonal Coordinator, Dr. Nassir Adesola; the Chairman, Lagos State University chapter of the union, Dr. Adekunle Idris;    Monye-Emina;   Iyalo  and lecturers from the Federal University Lokoja however sent the governor away from the hospital’s emergency ward.

Their grouse was Wada’s  late response to the accident and the uncaring attitude he allegedly displayed towards the union leaders  involved in the accident.

They also accused him of trying to make a political gain out of their misfortune.

Idris, who confirmed that  Wada was chased out of the  emergency ward, said,    “We are surprised that a state governor could resort to telling lies because contrary to the claim by his spokesperson that he showed care towards our colleagues, he did not.

“Somebody that did not stop after his convoy killed our leader; somebody that did not come to the hospital until some minutes to 5pm(on Tuesday) after the accident that happened around 11am could not be said to be caring.

“That was why we chased him out of the emergency ward of the hospital and we also prevented him from seeing Prof. Iyayi’s corpse in the mortuary.

“We are not happy with the fact that he came very late to the hospital and the fact that when he came, his press crew attempted to take photograph and video record of Dr. Ilo, who is our national welfare  secretary. We stopped them because that was  the  height of insensitivity.

“Somebody that could not provide us with an ambulance cannot be said to be caring. We had to call UNIBEN for an ambulance that took Ilo to the UNIBEN Teaching Hospital while our colleagues from the Federal University, Lokoja, with the assistance of the vice-chancellor, gave us the ambulance that was used to convey the remains of Prof. Iyayi to Benin.”

Idris added that though Wada  left the hospital “like a gentleman,”  some of  his overzealous  security aides tried  to be naughty.

He said, “Some of the policemen  that followed him to the hospital wanted to be naughty but we lectured them. The hospital workers and the residents of Lokoja who witnessed how we chased the governor  away were happy.”

Also, Adesola expressed dismay at  the efforts  made by the governor to rewrite the incident.

He said, “It was actually the last of the governor’s convoy that veered off the road and ran into a  vehicle that was conveying Iyayi and others.

“When the governor’s convoy came  with   noise and harassment, everyone on the road moved  to the side  of the road for them to pass  but  unfortunately, the governor’s aide  has told the world that an  ASUU  vehicle was avoiding a trailer and ran into  their escort vehicle.

“What manner of reckless lying is that? The front  of the ASUU bus remains  intact except for the windscreen that broke. Iyayi was sitting at the back of the bus and the  escort van  ran into it.

The most annoying part is  that the incident occurred around 11am and the governor did not even visit the hospital until around 5pm.

“He  came with a large  number of pressmen and security aides  and was attempting to make some political capital out of our misfortune.

“We actually had to chase him away from the emergency ward where our welfare secretary was still receiving treatment .”

Source: Punch

Complete destruction: Philippines typhoon damage revealed in photos. More than 10000 people dead.

TACLOBAN, Philippines — Bloated bodies lay uncollected and uncounted in the streets and desperate survivors pleaded for food, water and medicine as rescue workers took on a daunting task Monday in the typhoon-battered islands of the Philippines. Thousands were feared dead.

The hard-hit city of Tacloban resembled a garbage dump from the air, with only a few concrete buildings left standing in the wake of one of the most powerful storms to ever hit land, packing 147-mph winds and whipping up 20-foot walls of seawater that tossed ships inland and swept many out to sea.

There was no one to carry away the dead, which lay rotting along the main road from the airport to Tacloban, the worst-hit city along the country’s remote eastern seaboard.

[related_links /]

At a small naval base, eight swollen corpses — including that of a baby — were submerged in water brought in by the storm. Officers had yet to move them, saying they had no body bags or electricity to preserve them.

Authorities estimated the typhoon killed 10,000 or more people, but with the slow pace of recovery, the official death toll three days after the storm made landfall remained at 942.

However, with shattered communications and transportation links, the final count was likely days away, and presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said “we pray” it does not surpass 10,000.

‘I don’t believe there is a single structure that is not destroyed or severely damaged in some way’

“I don’t believe there is a single structure that is not destroyed or severely damaged in some way — every single building, every single house,” U.S. Marine Brig. Gen. Paul Kennedy said after taking a helicopter flight over Tacloban, the largest city in Leyte province. He spoke on the tarmac at the airport, where two Marine C-130 cargo planes were parked, engines running, unloading supplies.

Authorities said at least 9.7 million people in 41 provinces were affected by the typhoon, known as Haiyan elsewhere in Asia but called Yolanda in the Philippines. It was likely the deadliest natural disaster to beset this poor Southeast Asian nation.

“Please tell my family I’m alive,” said Erika Mae Karakot as she stood among a throng of people waiting for aid. “We need water and medicine because a lot of the people we are with are wounded.”

The Associated Press

EPA/Dennis M. Sabagan

EPA/Dennis M. Sabagan

EPA/Dennis M. Sabagan

EPA/Dennis M. Sabagan

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

AP Photo/Bullit Marquez

Ted Aljibe/AFP/Getty Images

Ted Aljibe/AFP/Getty Images

Tara Yap/AFP/Getty Images

Tara Yap/AFP/Getty Images

Ted Aljibe/AFP/Getty Images

Ted Aljibe/AFP/Getty Images

Tara Yap/AFP/Getty Images

Tara Yap/AFP/Getty Images

NCAA to start Dana Air audit next week

dana: Image: Associated Press

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) on Thursday said that it would commence the audit of Dana Air next week.

This is to pave a way for the arrival of the external auditors invited by the authority to team up with the NCAA in the audit of the airline, the NCAA said .

A statement by Mr Fan Ndubuoke, the general manager of public affairs at NCAA, confirmed the development.

It said that the external auditors, who had been invited from Europe and America to join the NCAA in the audit, would arrive in Nigeria by then .

“This is to make sure that the authority follows the Standard and Recommended Practices (SARPs),” Ndubuoke said.

According to him,  the delay in starting the audit by the NCAA is to ensure a thorough exercise with the assistance of the external auditors.

Earlier in the day,  Dana Air had frowned at the the NCAA’s delay in starting the airline’s audit since October 6 when the agency ordered the temporary suspension of the airline’s operations.

By joedams Posted in Safety

Dangerous trend: Yet another teenage stowaway arrested at Lagos Airport

Just when it seemed that the stowaway trend had died down, another intending stowaway has been apprehended at the Murtala Mohammed Airport in Lagos.

The stowaway, a teenager, was caught by airport staff as he was about to sneak on to an Allied Air Cargo aircraft which was about to take off.

The stowaway trend was started by teenager Daniel Ihekhina who managed to fly with a Benin-Lagos flight while hidden in the plane’s tyre hold. The incident has caused a flurry of stowaway attempts with three teenagers being apprehended at the airport last month.

The report goes:

The stowaway, a teenager, was apprehended at the airside of the airport as he tried to sneak into an  that was preparing to embark on a flight out of the airport.

The teenager, whose name could not be ascertained as at the time of compiling this report was immediately spotted by the airside staff of the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company who were handling the aircraft.

The boy was handed over to the security of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, on arrest.

The boy was taken out of the airside by the AVSEC officials, but as at the time of compiling this report, it was not clear where the boy was taken to.

When the spokesman of FAAN, Mr. Yakubu Dati, was contacted to comment on the issue, he could not be reached while a text message to his mobile phone was also not replied.

It will be recalled that the Airport Command of the Nigeria Police Force had last month arrested three teenagers for allegedly attempting to illegally board some international flights in Lagos.

Commissioner of Police for the command, Salahu Waheed, said the suspects, Lateef Popoola, 13; Amadi Joshua, 14; and Ukpabio Onyedikachi, 14, were arrested at different times at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja.

Waheed, while handing over the suspects to their mothers, had said there was a need for their respective state governments to rehabilitate them like the Edo State Government did with teenage stowaway, Daniel Ihekina, who was arrested on August 24, 2013 after sneaking into the tyre compartment of a Lagos-bound Arik plane.

By joedams Posted in Safety