RIP Mike Brown. Ferguson teen laid to rest

It was a sad day for the Ferguson, Missouri community and most importantly African-Americans and blacks all over the world, when it was announced that 18 year old unarmed Michael Brown was gunned down by a police officer.

The fatal shooting drew comparisons to the death of Trayvon Martin and Oscar Grant, both young black men.

After so much protests and a national debate on where race stands in America, Michael was laid to rest on Monday 25th August 2014 at the Friendly Temple, Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis, Missouri.

At the funeral service, mourners sang, clapped and danced, remembering the teen. His body was in a black and gold casket, topped with the St. Louis Cardinals baseball cap he was wearing when he was killed on the 9th of August.

We did not know you Michael Brown, but all we can say with sadness in our hearts is RIP.

 

Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO Funeral Held For Teen Shot To Death By Police In Ferguson, MO

 

Advertisements

DSS arrests Asari-Dokubo

asari arrested
Less than 24 hours after a group, Muslim Rights Concern, MURIC, called on security agents to arrest and caution the President of the Niger Delta Volunteer Force, Mujahid Dokubo-Asari, for repeatedly making inciting comments, the Department of State Security, DSS, has heeded the call.

Mr. Dokubo-Asari was Thursday summoned to the DSS headquarters in Abuja, where he is being interrogated for comments believed to be capable of breaching the fragile peace the country currently enjoys. The spokesperson of the SSS, Marilyn Ogar, was not available for comments. She did not answer or return calls. But Mr. Dokubo-Asari younger brother, Rex Asari, who also doubles as his personal assistant on media, said the Niger Delta activist is currently being interrogated by operatives. “It is true,” the younger Asari said in response to our reporter’s enquiry at about 12.30 p.m Thursday. “He is being interogated as we speak.” Mr. Dokubo-Asari was quoted to have said on Tuesday that he would make Nigeria ungovernable unless President Jonathan secures a second term ticket in the 2015 presidential election. He also reportedly asked politicians from the North to steer clear of the presidency.

Online con artist arrested over Australian’s death

online crime
A Nigerian man with more than 30 online profiles has been arrested in connection with the death of an Australian woman.

Nigerian Tribune reports that Orowo Jesse Omokoh was arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on 28 January.

“The South African police, which is investigating the mysterious death, are suspicious that Omokoh has a hand in the demise of Jacobs,” the EFCC said.

The 28-year-old suspect reportedly used an online dating scam to trick a total of $90,000 from the victim, Jette Jacobs.

Jacobs was an Australian widow who had been living in Johannesburg since 2012.

eNCA reports that the 67-year-old’s lifeless body was discovered on 9 February last year, five days after Omokoh came to Johannesburg to see her.

Adamawa Bishop Says Boko Haram Killed 31 Of His Parishioners And Injured 11

 

 

Bishop Stephen Dami Mamza of Yola Diocese
 

“They closed the Church, stood by doors, and started throwing IEDs and shooting directly at the helpless worshippers,” said Bishop Stephen Dami Mamza of Yola Diocese in Adamawa State about Sunday’s attack in Waga Chakawa.

Bishop Mamza said the attack, suspected to be the work of Boko Haram, left 31 parishioners dead, and 11 others mutilated by knives and gun wounds.

“The attack took place in our out-station Church on Sunday morning in a village called Waga Chakawa. The Church is under St. Dennis Catholic Church, Madagali in Adamawa State. They were about to finish Holy Mass with the Catechist when the suspected men arrived in Hilux vans and some on motorcycles.”

“Those that were escaping through the widow were being slaughtered like rams and others killed through their sophisticated guns.”

He added, “I have never seen this tragedy; it is a gradual elimination of people with impunity and desecration and sanctity of human lives.”

The Bishop said after the gang had finished with the helpless villagers inside the Church, the attackers went into the village and slaughtered about ten people of several Churches and escaped without any response.

Bishop Mamza had a plea for the Nigerian government, “I am begging in the name of God, government and security agencies should come to the aid of poor Nigerians irrespective of their religion, status or whatever and give them protection. We are mourning these children and adults whose innocent lives were brutally stuffed out of them unjustifiably.”

B’Haram kills 74 in church, village

 

Boko Haram membersBoko Haram members

Boko Haram insurgents on Sunday evening attacked another  village in Borno  State,   killing a soldier and 51 other persons.

About 16 others, including policemen  and traders, were injured  while  300 houses were  set ablaze  by the insurgents  in Kawuri, Konduga Local Government Area of the state.

Another  set of the Boko Haram fighters,   armed with guns and explosives, had earlier on Sunday  killed 22 people at a  church service in  Waga Chakawa, Adamawa State.

The Kawuri  village  attackers were said to have planted several explosives in  the community  after attacking the nearby weekly market as  traders  were busy getting ready to close their stalls.

An eyewitness said those who sustained  varying degrees of burns were rushed to the Konduga General Hospital and the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital for treatment.

Bulama Kuliri,  a resident of the village, told  journalists that the attack lasted for more than four hours.

He said, “I believe more than 50 people were  killed in the attack because the whole village  was  razed by the Boko Haram  people.   There were   loud explosions from different directions  and dead  bodies littered  many parts  of  the village.”

Another eyewitness, Ari Kolomi, told the Associated Press that “no house in the village was left standing.”

“The gunmen were more than 50 and they were using explosives and heavy-sounding guns,” he added.

A soldier said two more improvised explosive devices exploded  early on Monday morning, narrowly missing security personnel who were  busy collecting corpses.

One of the police officers  that evacuated  the  wounded victims, also confirmed that at least 52 people were killed and 16  injured.

The state Police Commissioner, Lawan Tanko, confirmed the attack but said he was awaiting details on casualties.

A protocol officer in  the Government House told journalists that Governor Kashim Shettima was advised   to cancel his “planned visit” to the community  because “the military  were  still conducting an operation in the area.”

Shettima later met behind closed doors  with military and police officers in the state over the incident.

In Waga Chakawa, witnesses told Reuters that insurgents  set off bombs and fired into the congregation in the Catholic Church  in a village in Adamawa State.

They  said the insurgents also  burnt  houses and took  residents hostage during  the four-hour siege.

The spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Yola, Rev. Father Raymond Danbouye, said those killed were buried at a funeral on Monday.

In  the last one week, over 100 persons have been killed in attacks  by  members of the terror group. These attacks, according to the United Nations, led to 6,000 persons fleeing to neighbouring countries like Cameroon and Niger Republic. On  January 14  for instance, a car bomb exploded in Maiduguri, killing about 70 people. Communities  like  Kwaljiri, Kaya, Ngawo Fate, Limanti, Njaba, Yahuri, Mude, Wala and Alau in the Damboa, Konduga and Gwoza Local Government Areas have all been sacked by the  terrorists.

Source: PUNCH

Militants kill 18 in Borno

borno
Eighteen people were feared dead after suspected Boko Haram militants attacked a community along the Alau Dam-Alau Ngawo Fate in Jere Local Government Area of Borno on Sunday night.

Malam Ibrahim Modu, a village head in the area, told newsmen on telephone that the attackers invaded the community at about 10p.m. on Sunday before carrying out their evil act.

“They invaded the village at about 22:00 and set many houses and shops ablaze within a short time.

“They actually used some explosives and local petrol bombs to set the houses on fire,” Modu said.

He said the invaders divided themselves into groups with some attacking residents while others set fire on the houses.

“We lost 18 people at the end of the attack. We also lost about 100 houses, shops and grain stores to the attack,” Modu added.

Col. Mohammad Dole, the spokesman for the 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, confirmed the attack.

“It is true the insurgents were sighted in that general area by the locals, but we do not have details of what they did yet.

“Our troops have gone there to confirm what happened,” he said.

Boko Haram attacks a police station in Borno State – Commissioner of Police

police Reuters

The Commissioner of Police in Maiduguri, Alhaji Lawal Tanko, on Thursday confirmed a suspected Boko Haram attack on a police station in Banki town.

“I confirm there was an attack on Banki town by suspected members of the Boko Haram in the early hours of Wednesday.

“The police station in the town was partially affected. I lost an officer and some of my men sustained injuries,” Tanko said.

A resident of the town, Mr John Samuel, who survived the attack, had told newsmen in Maiduguri on Thursday that the attackers rode on motorcycles and Hilux vehicles and used sophisticated weapons for the attack.

“They drove from the bush around 02:00 on motorcycles and Hilux vehicles and carried sophisticated weapons,” he said.

Samuel said that the gunmen used rocket propellers to attack the police station which led to fire outbreak

“Some policemen at the station tried to engage the gunmen in a shootout, but when they realised that the invaders had superior power, they fled,” he said.

He said the gunmen also raided homes and killed some residents of the town before fleeing.

Jonathan sacks service chiefs, appoints new ones

Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim, Air Marshal Badeh,Azubike Ihejirika,Dele Ezeoba
Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim, Air Marshal Badeh, Azubike Ihejirika, Dele Ezeoba

President Goodluck Jonathan has sacked all the service chiefs, who are statutorily the heads of the nation’s military apparatus.

This was contained in the Twitter and Facebook posts by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, on Thursday.

No reason was given for the changes.

The post read, “President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in the exercise of the powers conferred on him by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria approved the following changes in the nation’s Military High Command:

“Air Marshal Alex Badeh takes over from Admiral Ola Sa’ad Ibrahim as Chief of Defence Staff.

“Major-General Kenneth Tobiah Minimah takes over from Lt.-General Azubike Ihejirika as Chief of Army Staff.

“Rear Admiral Usman Jibrin takes over from Vice Admiral Dele Ezeoba as Chief of Naval Staff; and Air Vice Marshal Adesola Nunayon Amosu takes over from Air Marshal Badeh as Chief of Air Staff.

“All the changes are with immediate effect.”

The new Chief of Defence Staff and former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Badeh was born on January 10, 1957 and joined the Air Force as a member of the Nigerian Defence Academy’s 21 Regular Course while the new Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Minimah was born on July 27, 1959 and joined the Army as a member of the Nigerian Defence Academy’s 25 Regular Course. Until his new appointment, Major-General Minimah was the Commander of the Nigerian Army Infantry Corps, Jaji.

The new Chief of Naval Staff, Rear Admiral Usman Jibrin was born on September 16, 1959 and joined the Navy as a member of the Nigerian Defence Academy’s 24 Regular Course. Until his appointment as Chief of Naval Staff, he was Director of Training at Defence Headquarters.

The new Chief of Air Staff and immediate past Commander of the Presidential Air Fleet, Air Vice Marshal Amosu was born on August 1, 1958 and joined the Air Force as a member of the Nigerian Defence Academy’s 25 Regular Course. Until his new appointment, Air Vice Marshal Amosu was the Air Officer Commanding, Tactical Air Command, Makurdi.

Jonathan has briefed the leadership of the National Assembly on the appointment of the new service chiefs and will, in keeping with the provisions of the law, request the National Assembly to formally confirm the appointments when it reconvenes.

SOURCE: PUNCH

First Pirate Attack Of 2014 Off Gabon’s Coast

African Headlines: Billionaire Tweets and Potato Presidents

Last year it was revealed that pirate activity on Africa’s east coast along Somalia has been surpassed by attacks on the far western coast of the continent. 2014 seems set to cement this, as the first attempted pirate attack of the year took place off the coast of Gabon. According to the International Marine Bureau’s Piracy Reporting Center, several pirates tried to board a gas carrier roughly 100 kilometres away from Corisco Island, off the country’s coast. But the crew sounded an alarm and the pirates escaped the scene. Pirate activity jumped sharply in the region during 2013, including numerous kidnappings. Some experts warn that piracy might double in the region, particularly the Gulf of Guinea, if more isn’t done.

40 Killed in Renewed Attacks on Boko Haram Stronghold

Defence-Headquarters-0812.jpg - Defence-Headquarters-0812.jpg

Defence Headquarters
Over 40 suspected members of the outlawed Boko Haram sect were on Monday killed in an offensive air and land raid of the sect’s hideouts in Borno State.
It was gathered that the military recorded the major success in its war on terror when they launched the air and land raid on Bita village general area along Damboa-Gwoza Road in the state, believed to be hideout of the terrorist group.
The attack is coming just as Governor Kashim Shettima yesterday warned members of the youth vigilante group popularly called Civilian JTF, currently undergoing training in character re-orientation to desist from establishing illegal cells.
About a fortnight ago, over 20 suspected terrorists were reportedly killed  in the same village. Also during the offensive several of the sect members escaped the area injured.
Bita is a village which is located about 32 kilometres west of Gwoza, a town which is about 135 kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital.
The town had witnessed series of attacks from the sect in recent times.